The Inspiring Teacher Project

"Mike Roberts draws on interviews with many of our most dedicated, honored, and celebrated teachers to get insights and examples of what it means to be a teacher. We all learn best by examples and analogies, and these teachers prove that time and again. This should be required reading for all who enter the teaching profession." Dr. Max Thompson, Founder of Learning Focused Inc.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

One-on-One with Rafe Esquith; How did you develop into the teacher you are today?


Rafe is a 5th grade teacher at Hobart Elementary School in Los Angeles, California

·         Awarded the President’s National Medal of Arts

·         The American Teacher Award

·         Oprah Winfrey’s Use Your Life Award

·         Honorary Member of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II

·         Parents Magazine’s As You Grow Award

·         The Compassion in Action Award from the Dalai Lama

·         1992 Disney National  Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award

·         New York Times Best-Selling author for “Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire.”

How did you develop into the teacher you are today?
RAFE: I don’t like to fail and I sure failed a lot. One of the points I try to make with young teachers that come in is I tell them no one is good their first few years. They may think they are. You might be a great second year teacher, but you’re not a great teacher yet, it’s impossible. Unfortunately, because of Hollywood movies and because of things you read in the press, you can actually start to believe that at 24 you are a great teacher. You’re not. You don’t have the wisdom, you don’t have the experience, and you haven’t failed enough to know what it is to be a great teacher.

      I think what really shaped me in my early years was in believing I had been successful because I did get kids up to a much higher level on standardized tests. Their reading and math was better so I thought I had done a good job. But in hearing 2 or 3 years later about these same kids involved with gangs, or drugs, or dropping out of school and doing all kinds of awful things, I realized I hadn’t been a very good teacher because the real measure is what I’m giving them that will last them the rest of their lives. I had a lot of sleepless nights when I absolutely felt I had done well when in fact I really hadn’t. That’s when I had to sit down and think, “How can I do it better?”

     If we are trying to share qualities we have with other teachers. Every teacher has their strengths and weaknesses. My greatest strength is that I just don’t give up. I teach the kids not to give up when things are hard which means I can’t give up. When I failed, I still fail, but especially in those early years I learned to take a look inward, not to blame the kids, not to blame the parents, or to blame the system. Those things might be flawed but I can’t control that stuff. I can control my teaching. That’s when I started to shape my classroom differently. I’ve had more success since I started making those changes.
The above dialogue is an excerpt from the book, One-on-One With America's Most Inspiring Teachers. Now available on Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment